Black Box ; You Got Boxed

Or how to win $10,000 with out even trying (that hard)

Sponsored

Box wine holds an increasingly important appeal in today’s marketplace. Not only can you feel good about drastically reducing your carbon footprint as a winelover, but you can also treat yourself to a fresh glass of wine for up to four weeks from one of Black Box’s outstanding selections.

The folks at Black Box are so convinced that you, and your friends, are going to enjoy their wines, that they’ve staked a tidy sum on it. Until 11/30/09, Black Box is accepting entries into their You Got Boxed video contest.

Simply serve the award winning Black Box wines to your friends, tape their reaction, and upload your short video to the Black Box site.  Then get your friends to vote for your video and win one of the $2,000 monthly prizes or even the $10,000 grand prize. Click here to get all the details on the  "You Got Boxed" video contest, and don’t worry we’re not in the running.

So do your part to save the planet, while giving yourself a great chance to win $10,000, and enjoy a glass of always fresh Black Box wine.

Why Buy the Box?

While Bag in Box technology has been around for years it's taken awhile before producers had the confidence, and following, in the marketplace, to use this format for premium wines. That time has come as more producers are realising how economical and environemntally friendly the box is. It's less costly to produce, store, and ship and is makes life easy for the consumer. Not only can you comfortably carry home three liters of wine but the Bag in Box is easy to store and will keep your wine as fresh as the day you opened it for up to four weeks.
Although we're ineligible to win the $10,000 prize, we put together a short video of us "boxing" some friends - all in good fun of course. Enjoy!

And how are those wines you ask. Well let me tell you about my favorites.

2008 Monterey County Chardonnay
A lightly smoky, caramel and vanilla tinged, oak note on the nose with hints of banana and very ripe pineapple.  This is soft in the mouth with a round feel, no rough edges, with very typical sweet apple, banana cream, and pineapple flavors. You’d be hard pressed to find a better Chardonnay at this price point.

2007 California Merlot

This has earthy, oaky tones framing leafy, tobacco tinged, black fruits on the nose that develop hints of licorice and cocoa in the glass.  Round and soft with a suggestion of orange peel on entry, which is followed by a  a sweet, dried cherry and coca dusted mid-palate that leads to a gently tannic, bright red cherry toned finish.

Mentioned in this article

Comments

• Snooth User: Philip James
    Founding Member Hand of Snooth Voice of Snooth
    1 12,575

Love the "scratch.....boom" sound effects

Nov 10, 2009 at 10:37 AM

• Snooth User: atonalprime
    Hand of Snooth
    157790 1,416

Well done! I still can't get that pineapple out of my mind from the other night...

Nov 10, 2009 at 1:19 PM

• Snooth User: kulhluk
    90347 12

Only tried one variety of Black Box wine, the Pinot Grigio. I had an emergency need for a cooking white that maybe could put that out for the guests that liked whites as well. It was one of the worst for the money I have ever had in my life!! It reminded me of a 4 day old dollar bottle Soave. Based on that I will not ever try their reds, which are my preferred types anyway. Oz makes a very nice 4 litre box shiraz which always surprised our guests, not my favorite by any means, but it sure fills the gap in a very nice way. As for a nice white when I'm in the mood, St Joseph of a good vintage will fill the bill quite nicely, along with some of the wonderful NZ Sauvignon Blancs.
    Sorry about that, but I know I am not alone. You can certainly scratch this if it is not appropriate for what you are trying to accomplish.

Nov 10, 2009 at 2:04 PM

• Snooth User: sfizi
    250094 3

I thought, why not try Black box. So I bought a box of Chardonnay. And to my unhappy suprise I now have a box of wine that is barely good enough to cook with.

Nov 10, 2009 at 3:14 PM

• Snooth User: beachbee
    297264 1

This is the worst swill I have ever tasted. The Chardonnay. Undrinkable.

Nov 10, 2009 at 4:17 PM

• I find the Black Box wines extremely dependable and of a quality normally found at $15+. It is my everyday wine for both Chardonnay and Merlot. My bottle stock exceeds my wine cellar capacity but my glass goes to the spigot!!

Nov 10, 2009 at 7:59 PM

• Snooth User: winerunr
    297776 1

I find box wines to be bland and insipid for the most part. I work at a store that sells a fair bit of this stuff and it amazes me how people continue to purchase there favorite box wine without any apparent desire to try something better. Perhaps that is part of the appeal of box wines apart from the claims of being eco-friendly and freshness for up to a month. A lot of people simply want something that is cheap, "tastes good " and does not require them to be a " wine expert". I will say that they would be appropriate at a picnic or by the pool where you just want a basic quaff to quench your thirst. Companies like Franzia, Gallo and Almanden are making a fortune from wine made from cheap grapes that previously was sold in large glass jugs.

Nov 11, 2009 at 9:38 AM

• Snooth User: DPollaci
    41288 93

ah, mark told me about this the other day...what a trick! as a social, social worker i am always looking for good cheap wine. nice video!

Nov 17, 2009 at 8:10 PM

• Of course the amusing thing about these naysayers is that the clear illustration of the video is that wine aficionados are basically just pulling it out of their posteriors. Most of those people probably consider themselves wine experts. They couldn't even identify the white was a Chardonnay, much less the "value" of the wine.

sfizi and beachbee... I'd have loved to see your reaction at that tasting party when you thought it was a very nice drinkable wine.

Nov 19, 2009 at 7:12 PM